There are a few things that you can do to get ready for camp life.
- Give your family and friends your address and ask them to send letters. For some people, it can be hard to imagine life without a computer or a cell phone, but don’t worry! Life at camp is full of fun things to do and interesting people to meet, so it is pretty easy to do without internet or phone service. Receiving mail at camp is fun and a great way to stay in touch with people from home.
- Think about the things that you will like about camp. Are there new activities that you want to try? Are you excited to learn to waterski, sleep out under the stars, or make new friends? Focus on what you are looking forward to about camp.
- Express any concerns that you have to your parents or to the Immokalee staff. The Immokalee staff members are here to help! If you are concerned about a certain aspect of camp, express those concerns and get your questions answered.
- Print out and take with you some pictures of your family, friends, pets, or favorite things. This way you can share stories with your new friends and personalize your bunk.
- Give yourself time to pack so you don’t feel rushed.
- Visit the Camp Schedule page to make sure that you have everything you need and that you know what to expect.
What to Bring to Camp
These are just optional items of course, but many you will find will be necessary for your camper. We suggest a light sleeping bag as that will eliminate the need for alternate bedding besides a sheet. We also suggest marking all your personal belongings, so they will all come home with you at the end of the week.
- Lightweight sleeping bag OR 1 blanket with a set of single bed sheets (our beds are twin size)
- 3 Towels (for shower and lake use)
- 2 wash cloths
- 2 bathing suits
- 2 pairs of comfortable pants or jeans*
- 6 sets of underwear
- 5-6 pairs of shorts
- 7 pairs of socks
- 5-6 T-shirts
- Light sweater or jacket
- Rain jacket
- 2 pairs of shoes (one being sneakers or tennis shoes)
- Toiletries: soap, toothbrush, toothpaste, shampoo, comb, brush, etc.
- Sunblock/suntan lotion
- Insect Repellent
- Hat or cap for sun protection
- Stationary supplies for writing home: pencils, paper, envelopes, stamps, etc.
*Campers participating in paintball must wear pants for the program. We suggest 3 pairs of long pants and 3 long sleeve shirts
If you have any questions or concerns, feel free to:
Call us at 352.473.4213
Email us at Immokalee@FirstCoastYMCA.org